A Brief History
Voluntown is located in the extreme northeastern corner of New London County
and is bounded on the North by Windham County, on the East by The State of Rhode
Island, on the South by North Stonington and on the west by Griswold.
Voluntown consists of 39.8 square miles of land with a population of 2,528
people in 2000.
Most of the land which makes up the
present town of Voluntown was granted to the Volunteers of the
Narragansett War in 1700, thus the name "Voluntown."
In 1705 the town was surveyed and boundaries were established. The plot was
drawn up into lots, with each eligible volunteer receiving a lot. The land was
rough terrain, although fertile soil, and was in a remote location.
The first settler of Voluntown was Samuel Fish, soon followed by John
Gallup, John and Francis Smith, Robert Parke, Thomas Reynolds, Thomas
Coles, John Campbell, John Safford, Obadiah Rhodes and Samuel Whaley.
The first Congregational Church of Voluntown
was established in 1720 upon the employment of a Reverend Wilson.