Home | Towns | Research | Cemeteries | Album Look UpsSurnames
New London County CTGenWeb


PICTURE OF: Lucy Palmer (Brown) Armstrong New London, Conn




        The study of family history is a subject growing in importance and interest from year to year, as the lines become more widely separated, and the individuals from whom reliable data may be obtained drift apart, and the “old homestead” becomes a memory of the past. Family traditions are easily lost in this era of hustling commercialism, and in order to preserve for future genrations the records of the past and present the Family Record has become a necessity, and well-nigh indispensable as a source of information. No one unacquainted with the detail of such an effort can fully appreciate the labor and time involved in the undertaking.

        Twelve years ago the compiler became much interested in collecting family records of the Brown family, with no thought of going further back than his great-grandfathers. As the work grew and others became interested, a starting-point was made with Thomas Brown, born in 1628, and his wife Mary Newhall, born in 1637, both of Lynn, Mass. Three of their sons, Thomas, John, and Eleazer, came to Stoninton, Conn., about 1688. The town of Stonington was divided in 1807, and North Stonington was set off, with 2,700 inhabitants. The three brothers were in the southern part of North Stonington. From Wheeler’s “History of Stonington” are taken four hundred numbers of the early descendants of the Brown family, taken from the town records of Stonington. There were many others also whose identify is lost, not being found on the Stonington town records. The descendants of these three brothers lived for about one hundred years in Stonington, removing to other towns adjacent in Connecticut and especially New York State, which at that early date was comparatively a wilderness.

        While the greatest care has been taken to avoid errors, some undoubtedly have crept in, owing in part to the illegibility of some letters received; but subscribers may rest assured that the lines of descent are accurately given in all cases, and none has been inserted without proof. It is hoped that the volume will help to promote our family associations and bring in closer touch those of our kindred who are far away - and those near us, but still unknown. Some have written portions of the work in full; many have furnished facts and statistics that have been wrought into it. The author has been assisted in this work by many, among whom should be mentioned Charles N. Brown, Esq., of Madison, Wis., who has been willing to sacrifice time and money in the effort to collect records and materially assist to complete the same for publication. His data begin with number 1216 and cover 443 pages of typewritten records which he has furnished gratuitously for this Genealogy. Mr. and Mrs. B. A. Armstrong, of New London, Conn., in 1895 suggested the compiling of these records, and have furnished financial aid towards the success of this work, and to them much credit is due. Mr. S. Eugene Brown, of Poolville, N. Y.,has rendered valuable assistance. Mr. Herbert F. Bennett, Bristol, R. I.; Mr. Hosmer A. Brown, Brownsdale, Minn.; Mr. John Wheeler Brown, Blue Mound, Ill.; Miss Sara A. Denison, Mystic, Conn.; Miss Ellen R. Baldwin, Westerly, R. I., formerly of Brookfield, N. Y.; James R. Walsh, Esq., St. Paul, Minn., have rendered financial support. Space forbids mentioning byname the hundreds who have furnished records of one or serveral families.

        Many who look through this Record will be transported on the silent wings of memory to the home of their youth, with kindred and friends around them, and live over again thosedays they will never forget.

b., born
d., died
dau., daughter
m., married.
m. (1), married first;
m. (2) married second, etc.
res., resides, or residence
unm., unmarried
Wheeler, Wheeler’s History of Stonington.”

        There are other abbreviations in the book, but well known to everybody.


        After the name of a parent will follow their original number in parentheses; by turning backward, his or her number will be found with their parents.

        The children of parents who have numbers in parentheses at the right of their names can be found by corresponding numbers carried forward.

        After the name of the parents of the head of a family there will follow in brackets the names of the ancestors in genealogical order.

        The larger part of these records was obtained by correspondence, but town records, family Bibles, and tombstones have contributed much to these data.


1.    Thomas Brown, b. Lynn, Mass., 1628. His father was Nicholas Brown,who mentions his wife Elizabeth (LEIDS, note, jwood) and Brother Preserve in his will. Nicholas was the son of Edward Brown and Jane Leids, of Inkborrow, Worcestershire, England.

        Mary Newhall, the wife of Thomas Brown, was the dau. of Thomas Newhall, of Lynn, Mass. her father was one of the earliest settlers in Lynn, and lived on the east side of Federal Street, a few rods south of the mill brook, owning all the land on that side between the turnpike and Marion Street. (Lynn, Lewis & Newhall, p. 482) Mary Newhall, b. about 1637, m. Thomas Browne, of Lynn, who was b. about 1628, according to his deposition taken July 11, 1666. (Essex Co., Court Papers, B. XIII.L 62,) He d. Aug. 28, 1693. His widow, Mary, was appointed administratrix, Oct. 9, 1683, on the same day the nuncupative will of Thomas Browne was taken down(on file in the office of the Register of Probate in Salem). He names his eldest son, Thomas, and his sons Joseph, John, Daniel, and Ebenezer, and dau. Norwood. Two depositions cited by Waters, pp. 15 and 16, show her age. Her name first appears in records as wife of Thomas Browne in 1658. “Her husband was a dish-turner and was said to be of Grawton, Middlesex, in June, 1663, when he bought of William Longley his house lot (6 acres), bounded E. with lands of Richard Haven, W. with land of John Newhall, S. by Mill Street, and N. by the common.” - Waters, p. 16.

        The Norwood referred to in the will of Thomas Brown was his dau. Mary (9), who m. Thomas Norwood, Aug. 24, 1685, and had six children; Francis, Ebenezer, Mary, Thomas, Mary, and Jonathan. Their Children, b. Lynn, Mass.:
2. Thomas, Jr., b. Lynn; m. there Hannah Collins, Feb 8, 1677, and soon after moved to Stonington, Conn.
3. Mary, b. Feb 10, 1655; d. Lynn, May 18, 1662.
4. Sarah, b.Aug. 20, 1657; d. Aug. 1, 1658 .
5. Joseph, b. Feb. 16, 1658; m. Sarah Jones, Jan. 22, 1680.
6. Sarah, b. Sept. 13, 1660; d. Apr. 2, 1662.
7. Jonathan, b. and d. Apr. 12, 1662.
8. John, b. date unknown; when a young man came to Stonington.
9. Mary, b. July 26, 1666; m. Thomas Norwood.
10. Jonathan, b. Feb. 11, 1668.
11. Eleazer, b. Aug 4, 1670; came to Stonington at maturity.
12. Ebenezer, b. Mar. 16, 1672; d. in the year 1700.
13. Daniel, b. Apr. 24, 1673; died young.
14. Ann and
15 Grace TWINS: b. Feb. 4, 1674; both d. Feb. 7, 1674
16. Daniel, b. Feb 1, 1676; bought out the rights of his three brothers who came to Stonington and lived and died on the old Brown homestead in Lynn.

        Eight of this family of children died young and unmarried. Seven of them reached maturity. Four of them remained in Massachusetts, while three of them came to Stonington, Conn., before 1688. They purchased and received large tracts of land, most of which was located in the present town of North Stonington, bounded as follows: the western boundary was nearly all on Ossekonk Swamp, the northern bounds of which extended from the Ossekonk brook on the west to Shunnock River on the east, joining on the north the lands of the late Stephen Avery and land of the Main family, to lands of the Randall family; easterly on the Randall land to the Richardson’s possessions; on the south by the Palmer family land and Miner territory; and on the west by the Wheeler family land up to the said Ossekonk Swamp. Subsequent sales and purchases made by the Brown Brothers, and the distribution of these lands as they and their successors have departed this life, have greatly changed their original possessions, and other families now dwell upon the same.

        John Brown (8) located his residence west of the site of the old Roswell Brown tavern years before the New London and Providence turnpike was built.

        On the above tract of land described is one of the oldest burying-grounds in the town, on the south of the cedar swamp from which this burying ground takes its name. Before the New London and Providence turnpike was built a road passed by this ancient burying-ground, but after the building of the “pike” it was discontinued, making it one of the most secluded places that can be found to bury the dead. No interments have been made here for many years. here are interred many of the early settlers, without headstones, and without any doubt two of the pioneers, Thomas (2) and John (8), though it is to be regretted no headstones mark their last resting-place. This burying-place is on lands they originally purchased. here are interred Ichabod Brown (309) and his wife Lucy (Palmer) Brown and many of their children, and all marked with marble headstones; also Roswell Brown (171), who m. Esther Williams (31); Thatcher Brown (175), who m., after the death of his brother Roswell, his widow Esther Brown, nee Williams; Jedediah Brown (238) and his three wives. The name Williams, that of the great-grandmother of the compiler, is perpetuated by her descendants through many families down to Number 697.

        The remains of many have been removed to the Union Cemetery, and to Elm Grove Cemetery, Mystic, Conn.; and it is hoped that all others that are marked with headstones will be removed at no distant day tothe Union Cemetery.

        Thomas Brown (2), son of Thomas Brown and Mary Newhall, of Lynn, Mass., b. Lynn. He d., Stonington,Dec. 27, 1723; interred at the Cedar Swamp, on lands first purchased by the three Brown Brothers, and probably was among the first who were interred there. The grave is unmarked. He m. Hannah Collins, Feb 8, 1677. He built his house about forty rods northwest of the “Pond Place” house on the Anguilla Road and thirty rods west of the road. The cellar is filled six feet above the ground with a large quantity of stones; and down the hill is a fine living spring of water, a natural place for a pioneer to build his house. His ten children, without doubt, were born here. Twenty-one months before his death he deeded to his son Daniel (24) a large tract of land one mile east from his homestead. (Copy of Will, Appendix II. Copy of Deed to his son Daniel (24), Appendix III.) Children:
17. Samuel, b. Dec. 8, 1678.
18. Hannah, b. Dec 5, 1680.
19. Mary, b. May 26, 1683; m. Thomas York (404i-404q; see also 1216-1224).
20. Jerusha, b. Dec. 25, 1688.
21. Sarah, b. July 11, 1689.
22. Thomas, b. Feb. 14, 1692; m. Deborah Holdredge.
23. Elizabeth, b. May 9, 1694.
24. Daniel, b. Oct. 9, 1696; m. Mary Breed (54-61).
25. Priscillah, b. Jan. 30, 1699.
26. Humphry, b. Sept. 16, 1701; m. Tabitha Holdredge.

        John Brown (8), son of Thomas Brown and Mary Newhall his wife, b., Lynn, Mass, 1664; m., Stonington, Oct., 1692, Elizabeth Miner, b. Apr., 1674; dau. of Ephraim and Hannah (Avory) Miner and granddau. of Lieut. Thomas and Grace (Palmer) Miner.

        NOTE: - General and President Ulysses S. Grant was a lineal descendant of Thomas Miner and wife, Grace Palmer, dau. of Walter Palmer, who were among the most prominent early planters of Stonington , as follows: their son John Miner, b., Charlestown, Mass., 1636, m. Elizabeth Booth, Oct. 14, 1658; their dau. Grace Miner, b. Sept. 20, 1669, m. Samuel Grant, Apr. 11, 1688; their son Noah Grant, b. Dec. 16, 1693, m. Martha Huntington, June 12, 1717; their son Noah Grant, Jr., b. July 12, 1718, m. Susannah Delano, Nov. 5, 1746; their son Noah Grant, 3rd, b. June 20, 1748, m. Rachel Kelly, Mar 4, 1792; their son Jesse Grant, b. Jan. 23, 1794, m. Hannah Simpson, June 24, 1821; their son, Gen. Ulysses S. Grant, b. Apr. 27, 1822, m. Julia B. Dent. Aug 22, 1848. He d. July 23, 1885. - Wheeler

        John Brown (8) built his house on the west portion of the lands purchased by the three Brown brothers. The well is still to be seen, one hundred rods south of the George Wheeler house, where the compiler was born seventy-six years ago. He was a carpenter.
Children: 27. John, b. July, 1693; d. Apr., 1694.
28. Jonathan, b. Mar. 15, 1695; m. Hannah Richardson, Oct. 5, 1718.
29. Elizabeth, b. Mar., 1697; m. Samuel Miner, Dec. 3, 1719. They had nine children.
30. Hepsibeth, b. Sept., 1699.
31. John, 2nd, b. 1701; m. (1) Elizabeth Chase, Oct. 4, 1726; m. (2) Abigail Randall, Oct., 1729.
32. Ichabod, b. Mar. 12, 1704; m. Sarah Chapman (119-127). (Also her Will, Appendix VII) 33. Prudence, b. Apr. 28, 1707; m. William Hilliard, June 5, 1728.
34. Jedidiah, b. Apr. 28, 1709; m., Nov. 27, 1728, Abigail Holmes, b. Feb. 28, 1703. (Note: 79, 80.)
35. Mahitabel, b. Aug., 1712; m. (1) Stonington, June 13, 1731, Nathaniel Swan, b. , Stonington, Apr. 13, 1709. They had seven children. Shem. (2) Joseph hewitt, b. May 2, 1731.
36. Mary, b. Aug., 1716; m. Mathew Beeton.

        Eleazer Brown (11), son of Thomas Brown and Mary Newhall, of Lynn, Mass., b. Lynn, Aug. 5, 1670; d., Stonington, Conn., now No. Stonington, Nov 30, 1734; m. Ann Pendleton, Oct. 18, 1693, dau. of Capt. James and Hannah (Goodenow) Pendleton; b., Westerly, R.I., Nov. 12, 1667; d. aged sixty years. His house stood in the eastern part of lands purchased by the Brown brothers, about twenty-five rods south of the Brown Cemetery, and north of the Miner Meeting-house. Headstones were erectedto their graves bythe late Daniel Brown (386). Probably these were the first interments in these grounds. he was a farmer and stock-raiser. (His Will, Appendix IV.) Children:
37. Jonathan, b. July 12, 1694.
38. James, b. July 1, 1696; m. Elizabeth Randall (69-77).
39. Eleazer, b. May 4, 1698; m. Temperance Holmes (137-147)
40. Annah, b. Feb. 1, 1700; m. Dea. Thomas Main (804-812)
41. Ebenezer, b. June 28, 1702; m. Elizabeth Main (795)
42. Mary, b. Nov. 28, 1703; m. Elder Wait Palmer (813-819)
43. Hannah, b. Dec. 12, 1705; m. William Wilcox (819a)
44. Patience, b. Dec. 28, 1704; m. Clement West, Dec. 17, 1735.
45. Abigail, b. June 3, 1712; m. James Pendleton, Mar. 22, 1731.
46 Ruth, b. June 30, 1714; m. Benj. Randall, at Stonington, 1733.

PICTURE GOES HERE IN BOOK Site of Eleazer Brown’s (11) House, with the Brown Cemetery in the Background

        In this quiet place, above the ashes of the long-time dead are the tablets and monuments of many of the descendants of Eleazer Brown (11) and Ann Pendleton, His wife; and James Brown (38) and Elizabeth Randall, his wife. The monument of Elder Simeon Brown, reminding the passer-by of his long ministerial service, also serves as a reminder of the obligations which an illustrious ancestry imposes upon their descendants, even to remote lands and to remote generation. here are interred the children of Elder Simeon, except Elder Simeon, Jr., who is interred in Brookfield, N>Y>; James Brown and wife, Asa Baldwin; Jeptha Brown, wife and children; Dea. Josiah and wife, Deborah Griffin, and many of their descendants; Mathew Brown and wife, Elizabeth, and their som Mathew and wife, Lucy A. Denison; also Elder Eleazer Brown, pastor of the First Baptist Church; and man others of lineal descent.

Transcribed by Judith Wood
for the New London County US GenWeb Project