Welcome | New | Cemeteries | Query | Photos | Probate | Town Index | Links | Lookups | Search

The USGenWeb Project Fairfield County, Connecticut
Easton, Fairfield County, Connecticut


Welcome to Easton.
Welcome to Easton.

North Fairfield, a part of the town of Fairfield, was purchased from the Aspetuck Indians in 1670 for thirty pounds and an amount of trucking cloth. In 1762 the Connecticut General Assembly established the parish of North Fairfield. The Legislature in 1787 combined the parishes of North Fairfield and Norfield into the town of Weston. In 1845 the former parish of North Fairfield was divided from Weston and became Easton. It is still governed by the town meeting.

Samuel Staples died in 1787, leaving his entire estate to establish the Staples Free Academy. A fund descended from this beginning still provides a scholarship for college students from Easton. By 1867 there were thirteen school districts in town. The town hall was built in 1937, the gift of Gustavus A. Pfeiffer and Judge John F. McLane. Until 1910 Easton was primarily a farming community with many small businesses and industries. Forty percent of the town area is devoted to reservoirs and watershed in keeping with the rural and residential character of this community.

Erected by the Town of Easton, the Historical Society of Easton, and the Connecticut Historical Commission, 1977.

If you have questions, comments or contributions to this collective effort,
please e-mail Karen Steel.
© Copyright 1996 to 2008. Created March 2004. Updated June 2008 .

Welcome | New | Cemeteries | Query | Photos | Probate | Town Index | Links | Lookups