Welcome | New | Cemeteries | Query | Photos | Probate | Town Index | Links | Lookups | Search
VIEW OF TOKENEKE
"View of Tokeneke"
Card dates from the 1920s. It is believed that the name Tokeneke comes from that of a sachem or chief of the Native Americans who inhabited the land before the arrival of settlers from Europe. The name and mark of this sachem are on some of the original land deeds in the state archives.
"The Tokeneke area became popular about the same time (after the Civil War), although a small vanguard of discerning New York people had long since discovered its charm. In 1866 Vincent Colyer had bought 40 acres of Contentment Island for a house and studio. His friend, John F. Kensett, a distinguished painter of the Hudson River school, visited him there, and painted a number of landscapes of the shoreline.For more information about Tokeneke, click here.
If you have questions, comments or contributions to this collective effort,
please e-mail Karen Steel.
© Copyright 1996 to 2008. Created 20 August 2003. Updated
Welcome | New | Cemeteries | Query | Photos | Probate | Town Index | Links | Lookups