LOCKWOOD. The name of Lockwood is traced back as far as 1470, when Annie,
only daughter of Richard Lockwood, married Thomas Henshaw, who thereby became
possessed of a large estate in Staffordshire, England. Those of the name
in Greenwich, Stamford, Brundridge, and probably those of the name at Norwalk
and other parts of the county, are descended from Edmund Lockwood, freeman,
May 18, 1631. Was of Cambridge, Mass, in 1632, and probably removed to
Connecticut with Messrs. Hooker and Stone. Lieut. Jonathan Lockwood and Lieut.
Gershom Lockwood were in their day prominent and influential men in Greenwich,
Hanford Lockwood is a son of Ira and Clemendine (Mills) Lockwood and grandson of Thaddeus Lockwood, and was born in the town of Greenwich, Fairfield Co., Conn., two and a half miles north of where he now resides, June 7, 1808.
His father was born at the same place Oct. 19, 1769, and died April 18, 1846, having lived nearly seventy-seven years on the same farm. He was one of the most successful farmers in the town, though not a large one. He commenced life poor, but by energy and economy became well off. It is related of him that at one time during the Revolutionary war he was standing guard, though not a soldier, and one dark night he heard the footsteps of something coming, and three times sad, "Who comes there?" No answer came, and he fired when he discovered he had shot a colt, thinking it was a Tory. He had four sons and one daughter,--viz., Alva, Lydia, Ira, Ralph and Hanford, all of whom were born in the town of Greenwich, and all are now (1880) dead except Hanford. Lydia married Isaac Ostrander, of New York City, and had a large family of children.
Ira Lockwood, Sr., was a Whig in politics, and was a constable and collector of Greenwich a number of years. During the earlier part of his life he and his wife were members of the Baptist Church, but later were members of the Episcopal Church.
Thaddeus Lockwood, grandfather of Hanford Lockwood, was a farmer by occupation, married and had a large family. He died about 1812 to 1814, aged ninety-three years.
Hanford Lockwood worked on his father's farm summers and attended the district school Winters until he was fifteen years of age, when he went to New York City, and became a clerk in the employ of William J. Romer, a grocer, for five dollars a month. At the end of the first year he had saved more than thirty dollars, which he gave to his father, besides having properly clothed himself. this was the beginning of a successful business life. On account of sickness he returned home and remained two years, working on his father's farm; subsequently returned to New York, and entered the grocery store of his brother-in-law, Isaac Ostrander, as clerk at eight dollars a month for one year, then received twelve dollars his second year, and fifteen dollars for his third year's work.
The summer that he was twenty years of age he spent at home, and during the fall and winter following taught school at twelve dollars a month, and the following spring engaged for one year to teach in what was known as the Nash District at fifteen dollars a month, and "boarded around." He relates that he had a good time and made many warm friends. During this time he made many warm friends. During this time he made the acquaintance of Susan, daughter of James Nash, the man who had engaged him to teach the school, and on the 6th of October, 1830, they were married. In the month of April, 1831, he commenced business as a grocer in the city of New York, and continued in that business for twenty four years, when he retired from active employment and returned to his native town, and resided on the old homestead where he first saw the light of day until February, 1878, when he settled where he now (1880) resides. During his residence in the city he made good investments in real estate, which have greatly increased in value on his hands. He was a first-class business man, and attributes his success in life more to the fact that at an early age he became interested in the cause of religion, under the influence of one Mary Ostrander, and united with the Methodist Episcopal church under the ministry of the Rev. William Jewett. He is one of the most worthy and influential members of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Greenwich. He has held in the past and holds to-day the various offices of his church, such as steward, trustee, recording secretary, licensed exhorter, Sunday-school superintendent for many years, and a worker in the Sunday-school as teacher or superintendent most of the time since he united with the church. He has always been very liberal to his church as well as to other dominations, and the poor have in him a true friends, and they go not empty away. He is the possessor of more than five hundred acres of land, two hundred and fifteen of which are in his present beautiful farm, called Grandview. He has been married twice. His first wife died Oct. 27, 1869, and was buried at Stanwich, Conn., where a fine marble monument marks her resting place. He married for the second wife Fanny Lounsbury, widow of Samuel D. F. Lounsbury and daughter of William Roscoe, of Greenwich, Jan. 31, 1872. They have one son, William Fletcher Hanford Lockwood, born May 22, 1875. Mr. Lockwood is a thorough temperance man, never having used tobacco or liquors of any kind as a beverage.
Samuel D. F. Lounsbury united with the Methodist Episcopal Church at the early age of twelve years, and sustained through life a noble Christian character. He was a shoemaker by trade, and died in early manhood, leaving a good name.
Mrs. Hannah Lockwood united with the Methodist Episcopal Church at twelve years of age. During her widowhood she was a teacher at Portchester, for fourteen years in succession in one place.
*[NOTE: This biography was published in 1881 (and written in 1880, see above) and does not offer "proof" of early Lockwood family history. This information should be used only as clues to other record sources.--mp]
SOURCE: Hurd, D. Hamilton. History
of Fairfield County, Connecticut. Philadelphia: J.W. Lewis & Co.
(1881), p. 402-403.
Anderson, Robert Charles. The Great Migration
Begins. Immigrants to New England 1620-1633. Volume II. Boston: NEHGS
(1995), p. 1192.
If you have questions, comments
or contributions to this collective effort,
please E-mail Maureen Mead.
© Copyright 1996 to 2003. Created 12 February 2000. Updated 2/18/03.
Welcome | New | Cemeteries | Query | Photos | Probate | Town Index | Links | Lookups | Search