Souvenir Number, American Enterprise, October 6, 7, 8, 1908
Greater Hartford, 1818-1908
[Transcribed by Gary Walker]
C. Edward Buckland was born in Glastonbury February 4, 1859, and was educated in the public and high schools of the Glastonbury academy under Prof. L. T. Brown. On leaving school he took up farming at the old homestead. In 1888 he engaged with his brother-in-law F. A. Griswold, in the insurance business in Hartford. After serving in the harness eleven years with Mr. Griswold, he accepted a position in July, 1899, with the Mutual Life Insurance company of New York, after which he accepted a responsible position with the Aetna Life Insurance company of Hartford as special agent. When a resident of Glastonbury Mr. Buckland served several terms as tax collector and was an active member of the school board. He started out in life as Democrat, but later changed his politics and now affiliates with the Republican party. He is a prominent freemason, a member of Daskam Lodge, No. 86, F & A.M., Pythagoras Chapter, Washington Commandery, Knight Templars, the Mystic Shrine, Lodge of Perfection A.A.S.R., Cyrus Goodale Chapter, Rose Croix and Consistory. He is married and has six children. Mr. Buckland is one of the best insurance agents in Connecticut and is popular, which accounts for his great success in soliciting life insurance business for the Aetna Company.
(Transcribed by J. Erickson)
HENRY LEWIS A brief history of an old timer who came to Hartford from Tolland county and hired out to F. D. Adams, 149 State street, August 25, 1859, for the enormous sum of $3.00 per and board. Mr. Adams then was in the grocery and meat business. A grocery boy's life in those days meant from 5 in the morning until 10 at night. In 1861 he went to work for Byron Soper, who at that time kept a grocery store in the flatiron building, Colt's meadows. Those were war times and Colt's shop was just booming and the familiar face of Colonel Sam Colt, who did much to improve Hartford, was often seen on the street. August 25, 1862, he enlisted in the Twenty-second Connecticut Volunteers. The nine-months men returned to Hartford and mustered out July 7, 1863. The next month, August, he went to work for Henry Ensign, 174 State street, a well-known merchant, and was for a long time in the clothing, furnishing goods and merchant tailoring business. State street at that time was the street for business and such men as A. Hollander, Fuller & Fisher, Kofman Brothers, R. R. Phelps and others were successful merchants on the street in the clothing business. About 1881, Mr. Ensign moved from the old store into the Courant building, and since then Mr. Lewis has been constantly in the business, sometimes with a partner, sometimes going it alone. The firm of Henry Lewis & Co. is well known in Hartford, for 15 years in company with E. G. Lasbury doing a successful business at the old stand. He left State street about three and one-half years ago and is now located at 943 Main street in the merchant tailoring business, where his many friends will find him willing to serve them with the same courteous manner as is his nature, due to his long experience in the line of merchant tailoring which enables him to suit his friends and his customers.
CAPT. W. E. MAHONEY was born May 8, 1871, in Hartford. Educated and graduated from the Christian Brothers Parochial school. In 1889 he enlisted in Co. H, First regiment, C. N. G., and after serving successively as corporal, sergeant, second lieutenant and first lieutenant was commissioned captain, April 15, '96. Served with Company H during the Spanish-American war as captain. Did camp duty at Niantic, Conn., garrison duty at Fort Knox, Me., camp duty, Falls Church, Va., provost guard duty at Dunn Loring, Va. Was also appointed special recruiting officer of the First Infantry. Was mustered out October 31, 1898, with full company of 109 officers and men, none being lost either through sickness or otherwise, which in itself is a remarkable record. He immediately reported for duty in C. N. G. and resigned in 1899. He then joined the Governor's Foot Guard, serving six years and participating in some of its most eventful trips. In 1905 he was re-elected to the command of the old company; was later elected major of the First regiment; was honorably discharged in March, 1906.
Having served an apprenticeship to trades of plumbing and steamfitting and graduated from a course in a trade school, became plant engineer at the Pratt & Whitney Company, which position he held for six years. In 1901 he established a plumbing and heating business for himself, which has been carried on successfully, having completed some of the largest plumbing and heating contracts in the city. His place of business is in the Sigourney block, 1152 Main street. He is a past commander of Bartlett camp, No. 4, Spanish War Veterans, a companion in the Military Order of Foreign Wars, and a companion in the Naval and Military order of Spanish War, and a member of the Military Order of the Serpent.
JAMES PHILIP SHERIDAN was born in Hartford, 36 years ago. He was educated in the Christian Brothers academy of St. Patrick's parish. On leaving school he journeyed to Butte, Montana, where he accepted a responsible position in the Anaconda mines of that place, filling it for seven years. After that he returned East and went to work at the electrical business, and was one of those who wired St. Joseph's cathedral in Hartford. After remaining in Hartford for about four years, he traveled to Los Angeles, where he took the contract to wire the Hearst newspaper building, later leaving for Goldfield, where he contracted to wire the largest hotel in that prosperous mining camp. When Tonopah, Nev., camp was discovered, he took himself to the mining field and lived there throughout the hard times that are not ended. Mr. Sherman married Miss Agusta Christine Warner of Meriden, five years ago, and she has accompanied her husband all through his travels. Mr. Sheridan is a brother of Mrs. James A. Martin, and he and his wife are expected to return East next year.
GUSTAVE FISHER CO. is one of Hartford's leading and energetic young men engaged in the stationery and office outfitting business. He was educated in the Hartford Second North and Public High schools, and has been engaged in his present location for ten years on Asylum street, at No. 236. He is married and the father of one child. In fraternal circles he holds membership in the Masons and Odd Fellows. In politics he is independent. Mr. Fischer has designed a very pretty badge for Hartford's Bridge dedication which has been adopted by the Bridge Commission. It will be worn by the civic organizations as the one official badge, and it will take an order of 15,000 badges to fill the want. It is neat, up-to-date, and is in keeping with Mr. Fischer's well-known enterprise and public spirit. If you don't know Gus Fischer, you should make his acquaintance immediately. Mr. Fischer gave the trophy cup to the winning ball team in the Connecticut league.
RICHARD M. NORTHROP was born in Trenton, N. J., May 31, 1880, a son of Eli M. Northrop, a leading dry goods merchant of that city. His education he received at the New Canaan, Conn., academy. After coming to the Capitol city of Connecticut he joined the Bacon banjo sextette and his skill as an accomplished musician was widely recognized. His fondness for music was not limited to his work on the banjo, but it included several instruments and also attention to the general field of harmony. Mr. Northrop early became interested in insurance and received a thorough training in the life and accident branches. From 1899 to 1903 Mr. Northrop was in the home office of the Travelers Insurance company and since then he has been a special agent for the company here in Connecticut. His office is in the home building on the corner of Main and Grove streets where he gives the best of prompt and courteous attention to his clientele. He is thoroughly familiar with all the details of life, accident, health and liability insurance. Mr. Northrop has novel and ingenious ideas about advertising, the value of which is appreciated by experts in that line. As an agent he is popular and pleasing, as well as an extremely successful winner of business. Mr. Northrop is secretary and treasurer of the Connecticut Life Underwriters' association, a responsible and important position, testifying to his standing in the insurance circles of the state. In religion he is a Congregationalist and he attends the Center church, the lineal successor of that which Thomas Hooker founded. He is a member of the Hartford club. Among recreations his favorite is automobiling. He is also a lover of baseball and has a general fondness for athletics.
was born in Germany, Sept. 29, 1850, and was educated in Newstadt on the Rhine. He early learned the trade of a blacksmith. He is now a manufacturer of structural iron work. Mr. Buellesbach came to Hartford in 1883 and worked in the old shops of the New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad company till 1889, when he entered the employ of the Pope Manufacturing company, remaining with that company till 1894. Since that year he has been in business for himself and has made an enviable reputation. He turns out iron work for buildings, structural and ornamental iron work, beams, columns, fire escapes, iron fences, sidewalk lights, etc., etc.
For such a line there is an opening and Mr. Buellesbach is filling the opening. The quality of his work is enough to give him an introduction to manufacturers who need the products.
Mr. Buellesbach is married, his wife having been Miss Kate Knauf, of Germany, prior to the marriage. The couple have one child, a daughter.
In politics Mr. Buellesbach is an independent Republican. In religion he is a Roman Catholic and fraternal-wise he is a member of the Order of the Knights of Columbus. A busy and successful life is that of William Buellesbach.
GEORGE LEON LETURMY was born in France, 1871, at a place called Le Mans. Dept. Sarthe. He arrived at Otawa, Ont., Canada, in 1874. After growing to be a clever young youth he entered St. Joseph's college in 1880, receiving a commercial course, and on leaving college he went with his father on a surveying trip for the government of the Dominion of Canada. He left home at the early age of 16 years and arriving at St. Albans, Vt., entered the employ of the Central Vermont railroad as an apprentice in all branches of the painting trade. After awhile he felt that there were better advantages to be obtained in Springfield, Mass. Finally he followed his inclinations and arrived there in 1890, where he worked for all of the best painting firms of that place. Later a more prosperous position was shown him and again he consented to try the road to success, which brought him to Hartford in 1897. He married Miss Grace McLean Yeomans, of Hartford, June 28, 1905, who was born in Columbia, Ct. Mr. Leturmy has been very popular from a youth up and has secured the respect and good will of all his friends and acquaintances, and in fact all that he came in contact with, so that it was not long before he was enabled to hold offices in the Painters' union at Springfield, Mass., as recording and corresponding secretary. He also held same office in the Painters' union at Hartford, and has been president of the local organization for the past two terms. He is also a staunch member of Charter Oak, 406, also Fraternal Order of Eagles, Independent Order of Foresters of Ottawa, Canada. Mr. Leturmy has a very pleasing personality and to know him is to respect him always. He is a great sportsman and is captain of the painters' baseball team of Hartford. He is also an expert fisherman, being extremely fond of outdoor sports, and is especially popular among the painters of Hartford and Springfield.
F. B. SKIFF was born in Brooklyn, N. Y., in 1867, and was educated in the Public and High schools of his native city. When he entered the struggles of life he took up the trade of sign painting and later entered the field as a manufacturer of signs, awnings, flags, etc. The subject of this sketch came to Hartford in 1895 and has been actively engaged in business ever since, and his place of business is now located at 284 Asylum street, under the firm name of Skiff & Co. In politics Mr. Skiff is a Republican. He holds membership in the K. of P. and filled the office of chancellor commander twice. he is a member of Lafayette lodge, No. 100, F. and A. M. he married Miss Minnie E. Bailey, of Brooklyn, N. Y., and is the father of two children. In this great bridge celebration F. B. Skiff & Co. have the contracts to decorate such buildings as the Travelers Insurance Company, Connecticut Mutual Life building, Hartford National Bank, State Bank, Catlin Building, Harvey & Lewis Company's store, and many other prominent buildings in the city, with new and handsome bunting.
is a native of Russia and was born in that country, Dec. 25, 1879. He was educated in the schools at Keive, Russia. He arrived in this country 16 years ago and in his work as decorator and designer he was employed as foreman in some of the largest stores in the country, until he concluded to go into business for himself. He is located at 1136 North Main street, Hartford, and does a successful business as house painter and decorator, also dealer in wall papers, paints and artist's materials.
Mr. Hoffman is married to Miss Ida Kaleskey and is the father of two children, one boy and one girl. He is a member of the church of Beth Israel and holds a membership in the Sons of Jacob, and is a Republican in politics. In his business Mr. Hoffman is remarkably successful. He has worked out some large contracts on public buildings, churches, and schools.
ROBERT GLASER was born in Austria in 1861 and arrived in New York city in 1890 where he was employed with H. Koehler & Company's New York brewery seven years, and came to Hartford in 1897. In 1900 he became connected with the Aetna Brewing Company as secretary and treasurer and has resided in Hartford ever since. Mr. Glaser is a man of wide business experience and in his calling is trusted and respected by his large number of customers. When Mr. Glaser gives his word it means that it is as good as his bond and both have high standing in the city of Hartford.
SAMUEL G. DORFMAN was born in Mamal, Germany, 38 years ago July 23 of this year. His education was secured in the district schools in England. On leaving school, Mr. Dorfman was apprenticed out to learn the trades of locksmith and iron worker. He married Miss Mamie Hass of Germany, and is the father of three children, one boy and two girls. He holds membership in the Bris Abraham society, and is a Republican in his politics. Mr. Dorfman's Iron Works Company is located at 38 Ferry street, Hartford, where he manufactures all kinds of columns, I beams, girders and grates, all kinds of anchors, sidewalk lights, cellar doors, coal covers, fire escapes, iron stairs, all kinds of iron fences and ornamental work. He has done work on all the city schools and churches, including many of the largest public buildings. Mr. Dorfman has also done much of the iron work on the new bridge, and gave the Bridge Commissioners great satisfaction by the work being well done.
CHARLES P. HATCH In presenting this souvenir to our readers, we are pleased to include in its columns, a few words regarding Charles P. Hatch, a leader in the musical world of the state. Coming here about twenty-five years ago as a coronet soloist, he has reached the top on merit and ability, and is now prominently identified with the highest class of music. As the head of the First Infantry band, he has developed a reputable organization, and, as the founder of the famous Beeman-Hatch orchestra, has perfected what is conceded to be the best orchestra in the state, both band and orchestra being made up of the best talent procurable, and, under his talented leadership, are at the top of things musical. Mr. Hatch and his organizations stop at no task; the higher the class of music the better prepared they are for it. The Beeman-Hatch orchestra has been called upon to provide accompaniment for oratorios and high-class productions, and has always done itself and others great credit. A notable occasion was the recent Saengerbund concert, when thirty-five musicians under Mr. Hatch's personal direction won the approbation and applause of some of the leading music judges of the country. The services of both band and orchestra are in constant demand all over the state and southern New England, the fame of Mr. Hatch and his organizations having traveled far and wide. Mr. Hatch is a conscientious and painstaking director, popular with both the public and his musicians, the secret of his success being excellent music on all occasions, and a dance tempo of his own origin, which has become standardized. Mr. Hatch's telephone number is 742, where all arrangements can be made to secure the most competent musicians, brass or string, in any number.
WILLIAM BAILEY, JR. was born in Windsor, October 13, 1867. He went to the Windsor public and high schools. After leaving school he came to Hartford and entered the business world as a member of the clothing firm of Warner & Bailey Co., of which firm he is the assistant treasurer. Mr. Bailey has taken an active part in political life in Hartford and has served with distinction in both branches of the Common Council and the Board of Aldermen, first being elected to the Common Council two terms, 1896-1897 and alderman in 1898, retired in 1900 and re-elected in 1901 for a second term of two years. In July, 1903, he was appointed County Commissioner of Hartford county for a term of four years, and in 1907 he was re-appointed for a second term. Mr. Bailey is married to Miss Harriet L. Bell, daughter of Dr. N. S. Bell of Windsor. In his religious affiliations he is a Congregationalist. In fraternal circles he holds membership in Lafayette Lodge, No. 100, A. F. and A. M. Pythagoras Chapter, No. 17, R. A. M., Wolcott Council No. 1, R. and S. M., Putnam Phalanx and Nathan Hale Lodge, No. 39, A. O. U. W. In politics Mr. Bailey is an active Republican and takes a leading part in the councils of his party. In social life he is welcome everywhere. As a business man William Bailey, Jr., stands at the head, and is reliable and trustworthy in every respect.
JOHN F. FORWARD attorney and counsellor-at-law, 11 Central Row, Hartford, was born in South Hadley, Mass., but parents moved to West Springfield, Mass., soon after his birth. Descended on both sides from old Connecticut families. Attended West Springfield public schools, graduated from Springfield, Mass., high school and entered Trinity college, graduated from Trinity college in June, 1896. After graduating from college, worked for a short time as a surveyor, principal of the Salisbury academy, Salisbury, Conn., for two and one-half years. In 1899, returned to Hartford and began the study of law in the office of Andrew F. Gates. Admitted to the bar in January, 1902, and since that time has practiced law in Hartford. Temporary clerk of the Superior Court from January, 1905, to January, 1908. Appointed special prosecuting attorney for the city of Hartford in February, 1908, and now holds that position. Member of the Episcopal church and is now president of the Men's club of Trinity church, Hartford. Republican in politics. Graduate secretary and treasurer of the Trinity College Athletic Assoc. Member of University club, Historical society and First Company Governor's Foot Guard.
FRANCIS W. SUTHERLAND was born in Dryden, Mich., March 11, 1877, and obtained his early education at Saginaw, Mich. He was from his earliest years attached to music and he has made that branch his pursuit in life. He served in the United States army, preferring the cavalry branch of the establishment. He attained to the rank of chief trumpeter and assistant bandmaster of the Fourth United States cavalry. For a time he was in the Phililppines and at one period he was stationed at the headquarters of Gen. Fred Grant, son of the ex-president. It was he who sounded "taps" over the body of Gen. Henry W. Lawton, when it was taken from Manila for the trip back to Indiana. the period which he served on the other side of the world was 16 months. Mr. Sutherland has held the position of bandmaster of Haverly's minstrels for three seasons. He was for a season with "The Wizard of Oz." He has also acted as bandmaster of the Second Regiment, Massachusetts Volunteer Militia, playing in Springfield. Mr. Sutherland is a life member of the Order of Elks. He is a member of St. John's Lodge, No. 4, A. F. and A. M., and of the K. O. T. M., and the A. F. of M. He furthermore belongs to the Hartford Business Men's Association. Mr. Sutherland is married. Previous to marriage, Mrs. Sutherland was Miss Florence Ellis of Boston, Mass. The couple have one child, a bright son.
Back to Hartford County GenWeb
Back to Index of Names