GenWeb | CT
GenWeb Archives | US
Home | Cemeteries | Census | Vitals | Photos | Records |Volunteers | Site Map
Souvenir Number, American Enterprise, October 6, 7, 8, 1908
Greater Hartford, 1818-1908
Louis Richmond CHENEY was born in South Manchester, April 27, 1859, and received his primary education in that place, later graduating from the Hartford High school. His business career started in the Cheney Brother's Silk Mills, at Manchester, where he remained three years, when he took charge of the Hartford factory, spending seven years, and ending up by spending four years in the New York City sales office of the firm. For several yars, Mr. Cheney has resided in Hartford and is engaged in the real estate business, acting as trustee for several large estates. In public life Mr. Cheney has served in the Board of Aldermen, representing the Tenth ward. Governor Coffin appointed him to the position of assistant quartermaster-general of the state, which position he filled with distinction and honor. Major Cheney is the commanding officer of the Governor's Foot Guard, and has held that distinguished position for eight years all told. Socially he holds membership in the S. A. R., Society of Colonial Wars and various clubs. He is treasurer of the Austin organ works, director in the Connecticut River Banking company, Hartford hospital and American School for the Deaf. April 16, 1890, Mr. Cheney married Miss Mary A. Robinson, and one child, Eliza Trumbull Robinson, adds to the pleasures of their every-day life.
Edward B. EATON widely known by his publishing enterprises, is one of Hartford's energetic business men. As a publisher of the Connecticut Magazine for ten years, he has accomplished a work that is of inestimable value to all Connecticut citizens by presenting in permanent and beautiful form our wealth of state history, literature and art in the periodical of which the whole state is justly proud. Mr. Eaton organized the Connecticut Magazine company in 1899, and its stockholders include many of the state's most representative citizens. Beginning his education in the Northeast school, he continued through the Hartford Public High school, graduating from that institution in 1890. He was honored as historian of his class, and was also awarded the first prize for the best oration on graduation day. Entering the Phoenix Insurance company in 1890, he remained for seven years in its employ, resigning to engage in the publishing business, and at one time he issued the Hartford Pocket Guide, The Hartford Weekly Guide, and the New York Weekly Bulletin. Desiring broader fields, he sold his guide interests and purchased a part interest in the Connecticut Magazine, which he continues today. His latest publishing enterprise is the magnificent album of Civil War photographs, reproduced from his rare and valuable collection of 7,000 Brady negatives, which he purchased about a year ago. This is the only private collection in the world, the War department at Washington possessing the only other. The work has been accorded high commendation by military authorities throughout the United States, and the British Museum has purchased a copy. While Mr. Eaton's natural inclination is along business lines, he possesses considerable literary ability and has been a frequent contributor, not only in the Connecticut Magazine, but to the Hartford papers.
In musical circles his name is well known throughout southern New England as a vocalist of ability, in concert and opera work, and a very favorable record of sixteen consecutive years as a church choir singer is to his credit. He is a charter member of the Choral club of Hartford, has been for six years an active singer in the Hartford Saengerbund, and in 1906 that society presented him with a handsome gold pin of lyre design, and suitably engraved in recognition of his active efforts in behalf of the organization.
Mr. Eaton is a member of the Hartford Business Men's association, and was recently appointed by President Foster E. Harvey as a member of the Committee on Improvement of the Connecticut river, and was later elected secretary of the committee. This committee has one of the most important undertakings that Hartford has known in years, and its project accomplished, will greatly facilitate Hartford's growing commercial and industrial interests. He is a member of St. John's Lodge, No. 4, A. F. and A. M., and of the Citizen's Corps of Robert O. Tyler Post, No. 50, G.A.R.
Michael Jesse LEARY was born in Hazardville, this state, April 14, 1867. He acquired his education in the district schools and graduated from the Hazardville High school. After leaving school the subject of our sketch took up the business of railroading as station agent at East Hartford for the N.Y. & N.E. road, later acting as freight agent, then going to Waterbury where he had charge of the freight traffic for all lines of the Consolidated road entering the Brass city. For three years Mr. Leary was travelling freight agent with headquarters in Waterbury, after which he was called to New Haven, where he was appointed superintendent of all trolley freight traffic in Massachusetts, Connecticut and Rhode Island. Last April President Mellen advanced the subject of our sketch to the important position of general passenger agent and traffic manager of the Connecticut company system of the trolley lines. Mr. Leary, through his untiring energy and thorough executive ability, has risen from the positions of agent at Broadbrook, agent and yard master at East Hartford to his present high position in the industrial world and his many friends are rejoicing with him in his well deserved success.
He is married to Miss Kate Esther Dow and three children are the result of this happy union. Mr. Leary is destined for higher honors in railroad life because he has the ability and the nerve to branch out.
Austin Harvey PEASE's birthplace is Hartford, and the date of his birth is October 26, 1871. Mr. Pease was educated in grammar schools here and in the Hartford High school. After graduating he secured employment in the office of the Pratt & Whitney company, in the cost department, in which he made a complete study of cost accounting methods. He left the employ of the Pratt & Whitney company in 1902, to take charge of the factory office of the Kennedy Valve Manufacturing company in Coxsackie, N. Y., where he remained for five years and over. He left Coxsackie by the advice of a physician in February, 1908, owing to trouble with his eye, brought on by overwork. After a rest of a little over a month, he went into the real estate business for himself, following a bent for which he had long had a natural inclination. He has always been of an independent nature, preferring to stand on his own merits than to depend on friends for his advancement. In all of his business relations he has always been noted for square dealing. In his real estate business he endeavors to make a specialty of listing the best properties obtainable in the city, and parties doing business with him may be sure of getting fine bargains.
Mr. Pease is an enthusiastic lodge worker. He was treasurer and deputy of Coxsackie Chapter No. 1001, N. P. L., and secretary of the Coxsackie Lodge, No. 351, I.O.O.F. He is a member of Hartford Lodge, No. 88, A. F. and A. M. of Pythagoras Chapter, No. 17, R. A. M., and B. H. Webb Council, No. 702, R. A.
W. H. ROURKE. J. E. Tucker, owing to ill health, retired from active connection with the business [E. Tucker Sons Company] February 1, 1907. He was succeeded by W. H. Rourke of Unionville, who gained his first practical knowledge of the paper business at the mills of the American Writing Paper Company. Here he began at the bottom and by diligence and application worked his way through the various departments.
On September 1, 1907, Mr. Rourke started in business at 423 Main street as a wholesale paper dealer and mill agent. It was about this time that E. H. Tucker, who is cashier of the City Bank of Hartford, and a director of the above company, succeeded in interesting Mr. Rourke in the Tucker company with the result that he consolidated his business with theirs and on February 1, 1907, was elected treasurer and manager. Mr. Rourke is a fine man of sterling character and unquestioned ability. He is popular and greatly respected in his home town and has always taken an active interest in its affairs, particularly in matters pertaining to education. He took a prominent part in organizing the West End Library Association of Unionville, and is at present its vice-president, and is also a member of the school board and justice of the peace. He is a man of pleasing personality and has made many friends since coming to Hartford. Mr. Rourke is a member of the Republican Club of Hartford.
The directors of the E. Tucker Sons Company are Mrs. Kate A. Tucker, Miss Eliza E. Tucker, Edwin H. Tucker and W. H. Rourke.
Jasper Hyde BOLTON was born in Stafford, Conn., October 13, 1842, son of Jasper Hyde Bolton, a manufacturer. He was educated in the Highland Military academy in Worcester, Mass., and in Eastman's Business college in Poughkeepsie, N. Y. August 11, 1862, he enlisted in the navy and he served under Farragut. Among the ships on which he saw exciting duty were the Connecticut, the Westfield, the Honduras and the Brooklyn. He rose to the rating of gunner's mate and later to that of ship's yeoman. Some years after the war he located in Hartford, and entered the hotel and restaurant business. Still later he was for some ten years in the employ of the postoffice department. Next he was found in the capacity of landlord of the Park Central hotel. He was successful as a caterer, and on the occasion of Battle Flag Day, he fed 10,800 people.
November, 1864, he married Miss Emily R. Niles, daughter of Lucas H. and Henrietta W. Niles. He has been twice married, the second wife having been Mrs. Anna S. Beck, prior to marriage. There is a step-son, Arthur Leo Beck. Mr. Bolton is a Republican in politics. In fraternal work he has taken interest. He is a member of the Michigan Lodge, No. 50, A. F. and A. M. He is also a member of the Elks, the Improved Order of Red Men, of Robert O. Tyler Post, G. A. R., and of the Army and Navy club. He has conducted an extensive business in real estate. He has a handsome residence at No. 457 Wethersfield avenue. He is a Universalist in religion.
Walter H. CLARK, judge of the Hartford Police court, was born at Hartford, January 20, 1872, son of the late Mahlon N. and Mary A. (Haven) Clark. He received his early education at the Arsenal School, graduated from the High School in 1892, from Yale College in 1896 and the Yale Law School in 1899. He was admitted to the bar in 1898, and is engaged in the pracice of law in partnership with Judge William A. Arnold of Willimantic, under the firm name of Clark and Arnold, with offices in the First National Bank building, 50 State street, Hartford. He was a councilman from the Tenth ward from 1900 to 1903, and vice-president and president of the Common Council board during his last two terms respectively. He was a representative from Hartford in the session of 1905 of the General Assembly. In 1903 he was appointed associate judge of the Hartford Police court, which position he held until January 1, 1908, when he was appointed judge of the court by Governor Woodruff to fill the vacancy caused by the resignation of Judge Garvan.
On June 26, 1902, Judge Clark married Miss Julia Ellen Gilman of Hartford, daughter of the late Judge George S. and Ellen (Hills) Gilman, and a graduate of Smith College in the class of 1896. They have one child, Eleanor Mary Clark, born March 6, 1904. Judge Clark is a member of the Bridge Celebration committee of the Board of Trade.
Edwin Cole DICKENSON was born March 11, 1880, at Cromwell, Connecticut. In 1882 his parents removed to Hartford where he received a public school education, graduating from the Hartford High school in the class of 1898. After reading law in the office of Bill, Tuttle & Dickenson, Mr. Dickenson entered the junior year of the Yale Law School, grading from that institution in 1902 and entering upon the practice of law in Hartford the same year. In 1906 Mr. Dickenson was sent to the Common Council board from the Seventh ward, where he served two terms, being elected vice-president of the board in his second year. In July, 1907, he was appointed special prosecuting attorney of the Police Court by Judge Edward J. Garvan to fill the vacancy caused by the appointment of former special prosecuting attorney Frank A. Hagarty, post-master of Hartford. On the retirement from office of Prosecutor Harrison B. Freeman, Jr., February 1, 1908, Mr. Dickenson was appointed to succeed him by Judge Garvan's successor, Judge Walter H. Clark. Mr. Dickenson holds this office at the present time.
Frank A. HAGARTY, the present Postmaster of Hartford, is a native of Hartford and has always lived within its borders. He received his early education here and before becoming a lawyer was employed as shipping clerk for Atlantic Screw Works. In October, 1898, Mr. Hagarty entered the office of Judge William F. Henney as a law student, and January 7, 1902, he was admitted to the bar. In the spring of the same year he was elected to the court of common council as a councilman from the Seventh Ward. He was re-elected the following year and in 1904 was chosen alderman, thus serving two years in each board. In November, 1905, he was appointed special prosecuting atorney of the city Police Court, which position he filled until April 1, 1907, when he was appointed Postmaster of Hartford by President Roosevelt. In 1906 he was elected a member of the Board of Park Commissioners of the City of Hartford to serve for a term of 10 years, but resigned in 1908. He is prominently identified with numerous fraternal societies.
L. P. Waldo MARVIN, born at Hartford, Conn., October 19, 1870, parents E. E. Marvin, a lineal descendant of Reinold Marvin, who came to Hartford with Thomas Hooker in 1636, was captain in the First Connecticut U. S. V. in the war of the rebellion, and for forty years clerk of the United States District and Circuit courts and United States commission, and Cynthia P. Marvin, who died March 18, 1898, a daughter of Loren P. Waldo, a former representative of this district in Congress, Judge of the Superior court and United States commissioner of pensions. L. P. Waldo Marvin has always resided in the city of Hartford and was educated in the common schools, graduating from the West Middle District school in 1884, from the Hartford Public High school in 1888, then entered Yale College and graduated from the Academic department in 1892 and from the Yale Law School in 1894 and at once commenced the practice of law in the city of Hartford.
On June 4, 1895, he married F. Belle Watrous, a daughter of Christopher and Lottie C. Watrous of Chicago, Ill., and have two children, Florence Watrous Marvin, born December 2, 1896, and Edwin Waldo Marvin, born June 13, 1899. Mr. Marvin has been twice a Deomcratic candidate for representative of the city of Hartford in the State legislature, and from January, 1904 until April, 1906, was chairman of the Democratic Town committee. He has also been for six or seven years secretary of the Hartford Public High school committee, and for nine months a member of the Board of Street commissioners of the city of Hartford. He is a vestryman of Trinity church of Hartford, president of the Open Hearth association, member of the Hartford club, Hartford Golf club, University club, Elihu club of New Haven, Alpha Delta Phi of New York, Connecticut Historical society, Municipal Art society and other local organizations. In November, 1906, he was elected Judge of the Court of Probate for the District of Hartford, which position he continues to occupy.
Back to Hartford County GenWeb
Back to Index of Names