Souvenir Number, American Enterprise, October 6, 7, 8, 1908
Greater Hartford, 1818-1908
Sr. Frank B. ADAMS. Dr. Frank Butler Adams, of Manchester, was born in Peterson, N.J., in 1858. He is the grandson of Peter Adams, one of the pioneer papermakers of the country. In his early years, he attended the Connecticut Literacy Institute, in Suffield, and his training for the medical profession was received at the University of New York.
Later, was assistant to the chair of Laryngology at the University and Chief of Clinic cur department, Bellevue hospital, being also connected with Metropolitan and other hospitals. Dr. Adams was married in 1878 to Jane E. Carter, a descendent of the Grants of Windsor, and also a descendent of Elder Brush of the Mayflower. They have four children, all having arrived at maturity. Dr. Adams belongs to many societies and in politics is Independent.
Curt Edmond BECK was born in Zwicken, Saxony, Germany, 1857, was graduated in the public schools, and then took a course in a trade school (Gen erbe Schule). After this he studied four years the trade of upholsterer and decorator, after which he worked in many of the principal cities in Europe, and he was employed for two years as an upholsterer and decorator at the royal castle, Dresden, Saxony, Germany, under King Albert and Queen Carola. He came to the United States in the year of 1880 and then came to Hartford. He was employed at the trade in Robbins Brothers, of Hartford, for about seven years. In 1888, he started in business for himself as an upholsterer and decorator, which he has conducted ever since, doing business at the present time in the Boardman Building, 302 Asylum street.
Dr. Louis BLUMER was born in Dorohol, Roumania, on April 26, 1879. He secured his early education in public and high schools of his native town, and was also a student in a private school of languages, where he became acquainted with a professor of psychology and mental philosophy who took such interest in him he gave him private instruction which opened the way to his future career. In 1894 he came to this country with his parents, and landing in Portland, Conn., was placed at work during the days, attending the public school evenings. A few years later, although young, he was engaged in the confectionery business, and at the same time continued his studies in psychology and other healing methods. Later he was engaged in clothing manufacturing, and was for a time at the head of the concern. Subsequently he took up study in the St. Louis school of Suggestive Therapeutics, then, after graduating, took a course of study in the Biochemic System of Medicine under Prof. G. W. Carey; later a course in the Chicago School of Psychology. Then studied the Bliz Natural Methods of healing, also Osteopathy, and afterwards graduated in the American College of Mechano Therapy, when he entered into the practice of his profession in Hartford, Conn. Dr. Blumer is very active in his profession, and also successful. He stands alone in Connecticut, fighting the drug system. He has gained a great reputation in the curing of disease by psychological and natural methods. He is well spoken of, and has hundreds of warm friends among his patrons. He made himself famous by the free lectures and demonstrations he gave from time to time in this state. He recently demonstrated the work in Leavenworth hall, Waterbury, Turn hall, Rockville, and Unity hall, Hartford. He has done more toward educating the people in the new system of healing disease without drugs, than any other practitioner in New England. His motto is that nature does the curing and not the drugs. Dr. Blumer is a member of Portland Lodge, No. 35, I.O.O.F., and also a member of the Connecticut Medical Union. He married Miss Regina Gold of New York June 14, 1903, and has a son and daughter, which makes a happy family. His office and residence is at 1279 Main Street, and his success in the treating of all sorts of afflictions, brings him a patronage from all over the state.
Charles Hopkins CLARK was born in Hartford, April 1, 1848, son of Ezra Clark, Jr. and Mary Hopkins Clark. He was graduated at the Hartford high school in 1867 and at Yale college in 1871. In the fall of that year he entered the service of the "Courant" as a reporter and has been connected with the paper ever since. In 1887 he was admitted to the firm of Hawley, Goodrich & Co., publishers of the Courant, composed then of Joseph R. Hawley, Charles Dudley Warner, Stephen A. Hubbard and William H. Goodrich. In 1890, after the death of Mr. Hubbard, the firm transferred its business to the Hartford Courant Company, and, in 1905, after the death of General Hawley (the last survivor of the original members of the firm) Mr. Clark was elected president of the corporation. He has been actively connected with the paper, therefore, for about 37 years and identified with its management for about 20 years. He has never sought or desired political office, and, beyond being the Hartford delegate to the Constitutional convention and a delegate at large to the recent Chicago convention, has held no elective public positions. He is a director of the Connecticut Mutual Life, the Phoenix Insurance and the Collins Companies, treasurer of the Wadsworth Atheneum, of the Trustees of the Watkinson Library, of the Trustees of the Good Will club and connected with various other institutions. He delivered the Bromley lectures at Yale university in 1907.
Nellis E. DAY, the subject of this sketch, is one of the seven children of Reverend and Mrs. P. R. Day. That perfect number seven is not without meaning in their home. He was the third to enter the circle of the Day-Holme farm at West Avon, Conn., July 30, 1871. He received his early education at the little yellow (not red) schoolhouse near by, and finished his school life at the Unionville High school under Professor Monteith, since professor at Storrs Agricultural college. At the early age of 16 years he commenced his business education as clerk in the store of George Pease of Chester, Mass. At the end of the first year, a similar position being offered him by A. S. Hart & Son of Unionville, he resigned his position in Chester, much to the regret of his employer. After several years with this firm he joined the office force of the Upson Nut company, where he remained five years. In 1896 he became interested with his father in the fence business, under the firm name P. R. Day & Son. In 1903 he bought out his father's interests, since which time the business has so prospered that N. E. Day, fence contractor, is favorable known throughout New England. He married on December 3, 1899, Miss Bertha E. Lord, second daughter of the late Reverend Daniel B. Lord of West Hartford; Donald G., their only son, is now seven years of age. Their residence is West Hartford. Here he has been active in church work; is one of the deacons of the First Congregational church and superintendent of its Bible school; a Republican in politics and at present a member of the board of assessors. He is also a member of Willis Lodge, No. 99, F. and A. M. We bespeak for him a useful and hence a successful future.
Frederick LENZ is a native of Hartford for the past eleven years, having come from the old country more than 30 years ago, learning his trade as a first-class baker when but a boy of 14 years of age, picking up the experience in Europe and through this country. When first coming to Hartford the bakery business was in need of an expert hand and soon under his management showed that the trade in the baking line increased, through the superior quality from that which they had had before, owing to the fact that in his wife he has one of the finest helpers as she can be seen assisting him. All of Mr. Lenz's helpers are practical bakers under his supervision and nothing ever escapes his keen eyes. Always pleasant, courteous and accommodating to his many customers he is appreciated far and wide. Mr. Lenz's place of business is at 1213 Main street, Hartford.
John F. LIMERICK. One of the most prominent workers in fraternal societies at the north end of the town in Manchester is John F. Limerick. Mr. Limerick was born in Jewett City, this state, in 1872, and is the son of Mr. And Mrs. Michael Limerick. He came to Manchester ten years ago, with good knowledge of the paper-making business, and entered the employ of the Lydall & Foulda Paper company. By strict attention to business, industry and good service, Mr. Limerick advanced in standing with his employers, and at the present time he holds the position of superintendent of the plant in which he is employed. In fraternal and other organizations, Mr. Limerick's services are in demand in various offices, because of the thoroughness with which he performs the duties attached thereto. He is assistant chief of the Manchester fire department, financial secretary of Court Nutmeg, Foresters of America, and also holds offices in the United Workmen, Improved Order of the Heptasophs and St. Mary's Temperance society. Mr. Limerick has a brother, a locomotive engineer, and a brother in the Adams Express Service.
Clinton Joseph MARTIN was born in Manchester, 21 years ago, and was educated in the St. Augustine Boys' college. After leaving school he entered the employ of the Plimpton Manufacturing company, where he learned the rudiments of press work. After leaving the employ of the Plimpton company he entered the service of his father and took charge of the office of the American Enterprise, where he finished his trade as compositor. On this publication he acts as local reporter and sets all the advertisements. The 26 pages of advertising in this souvenir number were all set by him and he feels justly proud of the good taste displayed in their composition. For a young man of his age and the material used in what is termed a country newspaper office, printers of long standing give much credit to the subject of this sketch. Clinton J. Martin is a worshiper in the Catholic church and a member of the Connecticut League of Art Students. Charles Noel Flagg, Hartford's great artist, says that Mr. Martin has the making of a great artist in him and it can be brought out with training.
Thomas F. MORIARTY. Thomas F. Moriarty, of Hilliard Street, has demonstrated that a young man can succeed in business as a rule if he has the persistency and industry. Mr. Moriarty was born in Ireland, August 2, 1867, and came to this country when fourteen years old. He attended school in south Manchester, and upon leaving school secured work in Cheney Brothers' silk mills. At an early age he learned the barber's trade, and it was not long before he was managing a shop of his own on depot Square, Manchester. He showed adaptability in this work, and was equaled by few in this neighborhood of workmanship. For fifteen years he managed one of the most popular shops in the vicinity. Mr. Moriary's brother, James J. Moriarty, is also an expert barber, and has a good position in the Heublien hotel barber shop, Hartford. Recently, Mr. Moriarty, the subject of this sketch, retired from the barber business and opened a café on North Main Street, Manchester. Several years ago he married Miss Minnie Spillane, who was a teacher in the local schools; Mr. And Mrs. Moriarty have three children. Mr. Moriarty is a member of St. Bridget's church. He is also a member of Court Nutmeg, Foresters of America. He has served a term as justice of the peace.
George Amos PARKER, born April 2, 1853 in Fitzwilliam, NH, son of George W. and Julia Ann (Deeth) Parker, a descendent of the Lexington branch of the Parker family and the Fitch, Huntington and Sanders of Connecticut, and of Governor Bradford of Plymouth. On his mother's side from the French Huguenots settled at Charleston, S.C. two centuries ago. Married in 1876 Jennie Waterman Richmond, who was killed in a railroad accident in 1904. In boyhood the desire to become a farmer was strong with him, his early years having been spent in farming and fruit growing, he graduated from the Massachusetts Agricultural college in 1876. But, his call seemed to be along the line of the improvements of private and public estates, He was in succession head gardener at Vassar college, superintendent of the estates of Judge Boardman, John Roach the ship builder, Fairview, Md., and Gordon Park at Cleveland, Ohio, gardener for the Old Colony railroad and supervisor of the station grounds for the New York, New Haven, and Hartford railroad. He became superintendent of Keney park in 1896, which work was consolidate with the public parks of Hartford in 1906. During the present year the superintendency of the city cemeteries has been added. The only public offices he has held have been on the school committee and commissioner for the Israel Putnam Memorial campground. He has written no books, but has contributed to periodicals in the form of reports on park matters. His fad is the collection of books, pamphlets and reports relating to park matters. Brought up as behooves a member of the Theodore Parker family, a Unitarian, yet it was tempered by his mother, who was the daughter of a Methodist preacher, who taught him somewhat of her own emotional life and love of the beautiful. He united with the Congregational church, and is a member of the Center church of Hartford. Born and bred a Republican, he never left the fold, through he has been found peeking through the cracks where the fence was not tight and to take excursions to the outer field where the fence had fallen down.
John Trumbull ROBINSON is a native of Hartford, born April 25, 1871. He started his schooling in the Charter Oak public school, afterward entering the Hartford high school; later finishing in Yale college, where he graduated in the class of 1893. After leaving college Mr. Robinson took up the study of law in his father's office, where he has continued on uninterruptedly ever since. He served as executive secretary for Governor McLean. He also served a term on the Board of Charity Commissioners; was chairman of the Republican Town Committee from 1903 to 1906, in which capacity he did good and efficient work in promoting clean election methods at the polls. He is married to Miss Gertrude D. Coxe of Utica, N. Y., daughter of Judge Coxe of the U. S. Circuit Court, and one daughter blesses the union. In the practice of his profession, Mr. Robinson is very successful. He is courteous, large-hearted and sympathetic; and there is no more popular member of the legal fraternity in the city of Hartford. He holds membership only in his college societies. Mr. Robinson has a bright future and is looked upon as a coming leader of men and in public affairs.
John G. ROOT. A leader in banking circles and a valued member of the Connecticut River Bridge and Highway District Commission, the Hon. John Gilbert Toot is among the foremost citizens of the Charter Oak city. He is one of the most highly respected residents of Hartford, where he has lived for many years. Commissioner Root was born in Westfield Mass in 1835. He opened his business life in a bank in that town in 1851. Some four years later he went to Hartford to accept a position in the Bank of Hartford county, which later became the American National bank. September 20, 1862 he was mustered into the volunteer service as the captain of Company B, Twenty-Second Connecticut Volunteer Infantry. He served in the Army of the Potomac till he was mustered out, on July 7, 1863. In 1871 he was elected cashier of the American National bank and in 1883 Mr. Root was chosen president of the Farmers' and Merchants' National bank. For nearly twenty-four years he has held this latter position, occupying a place of prominence on the East Side, the heart of the older Hartford. It was natural for a Union soldier to take an interest in Republican politics and in the 'eighties Mr. Root had a high place in the councils of the party in Hartford, In 1888 he was elected mayor of the city, which he served as an able and conscientious executive, In the Masonic fraternity Mr. Root is well known, having held the office of grand treasurer for a number of years in the 'ninties. He took an interest in the Foot Guard as a member of the veteran corps and is one trustee of the Foot Guard armory. To demonstrate the high place which Mr. Root has won in the business ranks of the city only a glance at the preceding lines of this sketch is needed, To add to the list of honors, it may be stated that Mr. Root occupied the offices of vice-president and trustee of the Mechanics Savings bank, trustee of the Security company, and of treasurer of the Spring grove cemetery association, since the formation of the Connecticut River Bridge and Highway district Commission, he has been a reliable and painstaking member. His social qualities make him an enjoyable companion. His sound business judgment and his experience combine to give him an enviable position among the most esteemed financiers of the city.
Paul E. SALING was born in Magdeburg, Germany; July 19, 1876, and came to this country in 1896. He was connected with a leading decorator in New York city for a time and then located in 1900 in Hartford, following the occupation of a designer, painter and decorator. He has done much of the decorating and painting at Poli's theater and has decorated many private homes, He had studies art in Germany in several art schools, including the Art School at Magdeburg and the Academy at Dusseldorf. After coming here he studies under Charles Noel Flagg, and joined the Connecticut league of art students. He has a studio in the Boardman building on Asylum street and lives at No. 34 Hudson street. He is a member of Herman Lodge, Knights of Pythias, of the Hartford Saengerbund and of the German Rifle club, and also of the German Charity society, being well known in the German circles of the city. Mr. Saling is married, Mrs. Saling having been Miss Cecilia Heim previous to the marriage. The couple have two children, Edward and Henry. They attend the German Lutheran church on Charter Oak avenue.
Isaac Ransom SANFORD. The subject was born July 18, 1847, at Grand Rapids, Mich., and was one of the first white male children born there. His early childhood was passed in the pine woods of the Muskegon river, where his father was a lumberman, and his only playmates were Indian children. In 1858 his parents located in Muskegon, then a small village, now a city of 35,000 population. Here he attended the public schools and was the first young man in the place to receive a teacher's certificate. He taught two years, and in 1865, he went to Fort Edward, N. Y. Collegiate Institute, graduating in 1868. Returning to his home at Meskegon later in the year, he began active business by founding the Muskegon Enterprise, which he published successfully until 1872, when he sold out and formed a connection with the Milwaukee Monthly Magazine. In 1873 he moved to Grand Rapids, Mich., where he established the Valley City Enterprise, after having served as reporter on Grand Rapids dailies. He married Sarah J. Human in 1873. In 1875 he went to Chicago, where he remained about three years, being connected with the Chicago Daily Courrier and Pomeroy's Democrat in an editorial capacity. In 1878 he established the People's Champion at Fond du Lac, Wis., in the interests of the Greenback party, and was a delegate tin three national conventions of that party. In 1880 he sold his paper, returned to Chicago, formed a connection with the Shoe and Leather Review, and was sent to Cincinnati as their representative in that city. There he remained for four years, and in 1884, was sent to Boston to assist In the management of their New England business. In the following year, he associated himself with the Boot and Shoe Recorder of Boston. In 1888, his wife passed away and he went to New York, remaining but a few months, when he returned to Michigan, locating in Detroit, where he established the Peninsular State Magazine. This he sold after a year's publication. In 1895 he married Lucie E. Owen of Lapeer, his present faithful companion. They removed to New York city, where he was connected with the New York Journal for a time, and then took up brokerage. This brought him in contact with A. R. Specht & Co., and the New Century Zinc and Lead Co., and in the interest of this enterprise he came to Hartford in 1905, where he successfully floated it. During Mr. Safford's residence in Hartford he has formed a large circle of friends and has won the esteem of al who know him. In 1907 he established the Golden Rule association as a humanitarian organization and hopes to pilot it to success. He is a member of the Hartford Lodge of Elks, and is prominent in circles of liberal thought.
Arthur L. SHIPMAN was born in Hartford, November 19, 1864. His education was acquired in the public schools of the city, finishing in Yale college, where he studied for the practice of the law, and as a lawyer of ability and shrewdness he has few equals among the younger members of the bar. His contest with the Consolidated railroad six years ago, when the Central New England pushed its claim to the Montague farm for a right of way, was a memorable event in railroad and legal circles, and one in which Mr. Shipman proved his mettle and achieved much honor and distinction. In political life Mr. Shipman is a Republican of high ideals and an advocate of honest methods and practices. He served one term in the Hartford common council in 1891 and made an enviable record in municipal affairs. He is now serving his second term as corporation counsel, receiving the appointment at the hands of Mayor Henney. Arthur Shipman is an honored citizen of Connecticut's capital city and is deservedly popular. He is happily married to Miss Melvina Van Kleek and two daughters are the fruits of the union. He is a Congregationalist.
Oscar William SNELL was born in Sweden, in the town of Niardstand, and came to this country at an early age. The greater part of his education was gained in Sweden. In the old country he started the battle of life as a little grocery boy, and his life has been distinguished by hard work and energy. He learned the trade of a carpenter and later he went into business as a contractor. He has gained an enviable reputation as a successful worker, and his work stands well the test of inspection and of time. Mr. Snell is a Protestant in religion. He is a member of Hartford Lodge of Elks, of the Knights of Pythias, of the Odd Fellows, and of the First Co., Governor's Foot Guard. Mr. Snell has traveled extensively in his life. He married Miss Marenza Miller and the couple have three bright children. One of Mr. Snell's sons, aged 14 years, has crossed the water six times, visiting Denmark, Norway and Germany, and his first trip was made when he was only 13 months old.
Meigs H. WHAPLES was born in New Britain, this state, July 16, 1845. He was educated in the public and high schools of his native town, afterward attending the Commercial Collegiate Institute at Poughkeepsie, N.Y., graduating in 1862. Soon after he entered the employee of the New Britain National bank on the same day with now ex-Governor Chamberlain, then a resident of New Britain, Mr. Whaples was appointed teller in 1863, and later accepted a similar position in the Mercantile National bank of Hartford, which he acceptably filled until 1869, when he retired to enter the United States navy, being appointed on the staff of Admiral Oliver Glisson, and later serving on the staff of Admiral C.S. Boggs. On the expiration of this term of enlistment he returned to civil life, and later became adjutant of the First Regiment, C.N.G. In 1872 he accepted a position with the Connecticut Trust & Safe Deposit company, and in 1878 was elected its president, which position he now fills, and without doubt to the satisfaction of every member of the company, the office force and all reasonable patrons of the institution, for never a word is hear spoken of Meigs H. Whaples only in commendation of his good qualities as a man and citizen -- his unfailing kindness of heart, warmth of greeting, democratic spirit and steadfast devotion to all that makes for a more exhalted manhood, a higher and nobler civilization. Mr. Whaples is a director of the Board of Trade, a trustee of the Scottish Union and National Fire Insurance company, a director of the Hartford Fire Insurance company, a trustee of the Society for Savings, treasurer of the Connecticut River and Highway District Commission, secretary and treasurer of the Collins Company of Collinsville, vice-president of the Pickering Governor company of Portland, and a director of the Stanley Rule and Level company of New Britain. He is also president of the Hartford Gold club. In religion Mr. Whaples is a Congregationalist and in politics an independent Republican. He has served many years as a member of the Board of Police Commissioners, and at present is a member of the Finance Committee of the city of Hartford, a newly created office. His fraternal connection is with the Masonic fraternity. Mr. Whaples is a benedict, his wife's name prior to marriage being Miss Harriet Atwater Hotchkiss. There are two children in the family. Patriotism and courage should be added to his other enumerated good qualities. His service in the navy is among his most cherished memories of the past, and there are few things he more enjoys than reminiscences of the old days afloat. He is now an honorary member of the Second Division, Naval Battalion, and always to be found as one of the most interesting of the speakers at the board of annual banquets. There are many citizens of the capital city of the state, regardless of present party affiliations, that would mush like to see Meigs H. Whaples once enthroned in the gubernatorial chair beneath the gilded done, and no partisan fetters could be strong enough to hold them from active service toward such a consummation.
Dr. Francis H. WHITON. One of the best known physicians in this neighborhood, nor only in Manchester but throughout the entire eastern part of the state, is Dr. Francis H. Whiton, of Manchester. For thirty-five years he has practiced medicine in the town where he now resides. His prominence in his profession, and his active part in local and state politics have given him widespread prominent. He has for many years been a keen student of national politics and policies, and is an unusually well informed man on general affairs.
He was born in Mansfield, this state, May 16, 1846, and was a son of Chester and Philama (Brown) Whiton. His paternal ancestors came to Connecticut from Hingham, Mass., in 1647. His maternal ancestors came from England in 1626. His ancestors on both sides were in the Colonial and Revolutionary wars. His grandfather on the maternal side was in the war of 1812, and drew as a pension 160 acres of land.
Dr. Whiton's early education was acquired in the public schools and under the instruction of private tutors. He attended the Harvard Medical school and Dartmouth Medical college, graduating from Dartmouth in 1872. In the meantime, he taught in the public schools for six terms. For a year after graduation, he served in a private institution, treating cases of nervous and mental diseases. He also spent a year in New York hospitals. In December, 1873, he came to Manchester, and has been practising [sic] in that town ever since.
Dr. Whiton is a member of the Connecticut and Hartford County Medical Societies, and of the American Medical association. He is active in local political affairs, and he represented his town in the Connecticut legislature from 1895 to 1899. He opposed the five towns commission for building the bridge, believing that the bridge should be built by the towns of Hartford and East Hartford, or by the state. Since 1900, the state has feed all bridges made free in Connecticut. In politics, Dr. Whiton is a Republican. He was married May 17, 1870, to Mary Elizabeth, only daughter of George M. Loomis, of Portsmouth, N. H., but whose birthplace was Connecticut. Mrs. Whiton's ancestors came to this country in 1636, and were in the Revolutionary war. She is a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution.
Back to Hartford County GenWeb
Back to Index of Names